Sunday, March 7, 2010

Crochet City

As a young girl, I was taught to crochet by my mother and my Aunt Helen. I remember making grannie square pillow shams and afghans. After moving into my house, a very dear friend, and new neighbor, showed me some of the things she has crafted. She is very talented, even taught me a few things. Eventually gained confidence in trying different things, and different crochet patterns. I never thought to take pictures of them until recently. One of the patterns she taught me, was a mile a minute heart afghan. Here it is.....


I even did a baby afghan for my great nephew. All I did was cut the amount of hearts per strip, and the amount of strips.

I used one scane per strip(the center), always having extra, just not enough to do anything else with. Or so I thought. I decided that maybe I could make a pillow sham with the extra. The more squares I did, I thought it would make a nice afghan. Here is that one...



Here is a close up of that block pattern using pastel colors.


My cousin, Christine, and I would get together a few times a month. We would work on whatever project we had going on. She was working on this beautiful afghan. I knew I had to try making one. She sent me a copy of the pattern. I made one for my son. Now, this one took approx 3 years!! I swear the colors danced around...LOL. Here is the front.

Here is the back side...they look like mini pockets...VERY COOL!!

My husband started hinting around for one. I told him to pick out the colors. I am still working on this one. He wants it big enough to fit a queen size bed. It is so heavy, that he has to hand it to me. Right now, I'd say it is just over half way done. Like the one I made my son, it is very warm. Here is the back side...
Here is the front side....


Actually this afghan isn't the only one I'm working on. I'm also working on the block heart, and a heart strip afghan. I run out of yarn on one I go to work on whichever one I have yarn for. I use yarn that doesn't have a dilot number. So, I'm able to buy a scane or two at a time. I have also been trying to create either a block or a strip with a peace sign. It is much more difficult than turning the strip into the block. But, I think I'm getting close. It is a great pass time. When I tell people I am in "Crochet City", everyone knows I am sitting here crocheting.

No comments:

Post a Comment